Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Garden Time

I finally got the garden in this weekend. We are trying to grow some of the foods we regularly eat from the grocery store and teach our kids how to take care of the plants. I've had great success growing rhubarb in the past at our old house but this yard has proven challenging for that one. It looks like I've finally found a plant that is producing and a good place for it in the yard.
We use a lot of Basil, parsley and rosemary, which are easy to grow. I've never had good luck with Cilantro, but I'm going to try again. Cucumber, tomatoes, zucchini and summer squash are all easy to grow and standard summer fair. You might be able to see all of the fending and netting around and over the garden area in the picture above. Just like no picnic is complete without ants, no garden is complete without critters. For a suburban area, our neighborhood is teeming with chipmunks, rabbits, berry eating robins and tomato worms. Trying to find an eco-friendly way to grow a few veggies in my back yard has given me new found respect for the farmers who grow hundreds of acres of this stuff.
Hopefully, the animals and bugs let me keep a little bit for myself and I'll talk about what I've done with it as the summer unfolds.
Eat Healthy!

Dr.Ronan

No comments:

Post a Comment