Friday, February 22, 2013

As a primary care physician we see everything. 
I started my day with diabetes  and ended the day with a thrombosed hemorrhoid. In the middle was a stressed and tearful mother of 2 going thru a divorce and dealing with recurrent kidney stones. I managed a case of Influenza while driving to work in a snowstorm and messaged several patients via email thru our patient portal throughout the day.
I had a student following me around the office today, trying to decide what he wants to do with the rest of his life. We talk a little bit about medicine and a lot about work/family/life.
One of my patients showed up 2 hours late for his appointment, so i treated him during lunch instead of turning him away and rescheduling...I wish I had a doctor that would do that for me. I showed up 15 mins late for my dental appointment and got rescheduled a month later.
I feel very fortunate to be able to take care of people, and I hope I'm more of the solution than the problem.
Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment